Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Am I my brother's keeper?

Why?
Why do we as men fear keeping brothers?
What is it about exposing our inner most being to another male that terrifies us?
Is it because we fear retribution?
Is it becasue we have been trained since childhood not show our vulnerable side to our male comrades lest we become the target of ridicule and scorn?
Is it because that any time we showed weakness it was always used against us?
I Cor. talks about when I was a child I thought like a child, but when I became a man I put my childish ways behind me?
Thing is most men still live like they are a little boy.

Genesis talks about the first two brothers in the world. They were as different as night and day. One tended to animals the other tended to the field. Both worshiped the same God though. God demanded a sacrifice of animal blood. Cain, the farmer, didn't feel that was necessary so he offered up the works of his own hands. We can understand his reasoning, why not give from what is familiar? That is another issue. The story goes on that Cain gets jealous of his brother, Abel, and kills him. The first brotherhood relationship ends in murder not too mention that the first death in the newly created world ends because one man is jealous of another.
God asks Cain what happened to Abel and Cain's reply is "Am I my brother's keeper?" He basically states "Why should I know or care where he is?"
You see, Cain had already killed his brother. Abel's blood had stained Cain's hands and Cain still refuses to take ownership over his brother.
That my friend reveals our own temptation with our brothers. We get jealous. Perhaps they have more money than us, a better looking spouse, more friends, a better job- the list can go on. And it does! And our jealousy kills. It may not kill our friend but it certainly kills our friendship. We get jealous and our jealousy puts distance between the us. We get busy and make excuses and soon we lose touch. Soon we respond the same way as Cain when our spouse asks "Hey, how is your best friend?" And we say "How should I know?"

No comments: